9.06.2012

Member Spotlight - Christine Smartt


1.     Tell us a little bit about yourself – where you are from, etc. I'm from Oklahoma, then went to college for fashion design in LA and my destination as of present is a Texas transplant.
2.     Tell us about your quilting history – how/when you got started, who introduced you to quilting, what was your first quilt, etc. I started learning how to quilt about a year ago. I took the Beginning Quilt class at Stitch Lab and took Malka's Strips and Stripes and I was hooked!
3.     What is your favorite thing about quilting?  What is your least favorite? My favorite part is coming up with the idea or the color theory even piecing.  My least favorite is binding.
4.     Is there a technique on your list to learn this year? Hand Quilting
5.     Do you like to have multiple projects going at once or do you usually finish one before starting another? I usually have several UFO, but I'm trying to get around to finishing them.  Most of them need binding, but you know how I feel about that. :)
6.     Do you have a stash?  If so, any big plans for it? I have a ridiculously awesome stash!  My plans are to make awesome things to make people happy.
7.     What was the best thing you brought into your sewing room/studio to help you organize it? I wish I had that magic something to help organize my studio. Right now it is in shambles and I need a personal organizer! (Volunteers anyone?)
8.     What is your current fabric obsession (color, line, style, etc.)? I've always had a thing for unusual prints, but I'm trying to break out of that mold and use more solids.
9.     What tool could you not live without? My seam ripper
10.  How many sewing machines do you have? I have my Juki for quilting/pouches/pillows/etc and my Janome serger for garments.
11.  Do you do any other sewing besides quilting? I do garment sewing, I upcycle i.e. shirts into bags, pillow cases, I take concert T shirts and make memory quilts. (Is there such a thing?)
12.  What are you currently working on? My first queen size quilt which is a curved log cabin and Quilt Con Block challenge.
13.  What else do you want us to know about you? I am Smartt, I am funny, and I'm always looking for new ways to quilt!

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, hand quilting :-) That would be a fun skill to add to the arsenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garment sewing! I wish I did that. :)

    ReplyDelete