Charity Quilts

7.10.2013

INTRODUCE - Meet 2013-2014 VP of Events Corinne Sovey


Today, let's learn a few tidbits about our new VP of Events, Corinne Sovey!

When is your birthday? 
September 5th

When did you make your first quilt & why?
 I started my first quilt two years ago when I moved to Austin from DC. I wanted a beachy, scrappy, happy quilt and decided to make it myself. I’d been a sewist for years, sewing mostly bags and crafty projects, so it was time to branch out! I made a simple nine-patch queen size quilt out of the Fandango line by Kate Spain. I had gotten fat quarters not knowing exactly what I wanted to do, and once I decided on a simple nine-patch, I REALLY wished I’d bought charm packs…I cut out each square and didn’t do any strip piecing. I’ve learned so much since then! This quilt was also the first quilt I long-armed.
Corinne's first quilt


Does anyone else in your family quilt?
My mom has been a quilter for years! We grew up with homemade quilts and I knew one day I’d make my own, I just didn’t expect to do it so soon. I was totally inspired by the online modern quilting blogs, and here I am today. I only wish I had decided to take up quilting BEFORE I moved 2,000 miles away from my quilting mom. 


Who’s your favorite fabric designer & why?
I don’t know that I have a favorite designer, but I’m a sucker for Moda! 9 out of the first 10 quilts I’ve made/am working on are using Moda fabrics. I also have a hard time saying no to any beach/nautical modern fabric. 

Describe the last piece of fabric you bought!
I just bought a ton of Avalon fabric, Moda of course. It’s a line inspired by a town on the island of Catalina, which I could see from my backyard where I grew up in Southern California. I fell in love with the fabric line before I knew the story behind it, which only makes it better, because I have so many fond memories of Catalina Island from my childhood.
Catalina Island



Okay, we need to know which camp you’re in:
Steam or no steam? 
Both…depends on the situation!
Machine finish binding or hand sew binding?
Hand binding all the way. I love binding in front of the tv, so relaxing!
Pins or no pins?
I’m not a big pinner…again it depends on how accurate I need to be.
Slow & steady or pedal to the metal!?!
 I sew like I drive…pedal to the metal!
Favorite color? 
Blue, teal and more blue….I also love oranges. 
Least favorite color?
I hate purple, it is the unfortunate looking child of red and blue. 
Favorite batting brand & type?
I am still making through a giant roll of Warm and Natural…but I also like Quilters Dream.
Favorite thread brand?
I typically use Gutermann cotton and haven’t had any problems.
Cats or dogs?
Both, the more the merrier! If anyone needs a kitten though, I can hook you up. 
Corinne's Poms modeling some PJ's

Beer or wine? Or other?

How would you describe your style of quilting? 
I consider myself a modern traditional quilter. I find myself drawn to fairly traditional patterns, but with bright, modern fabrics and solids. I think fabric choice has a lot to do with the modern aesthetic. 
Carpenter Star WIP

Beachy quilts

Neptune Hour Glass WIP

Owls

Salt Air Madras
Name one new quilting skill that you’d like to learn more about this year.
Improv piecing! I want to make a sea-glass inspired quilt with teals and blues…shocking, I know.

If you had to recommend a quilting book to a beginner, what would it be & why?
The Modern Quilt Workshop by Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerr is one of my favorites for true beginners. They cover the basics and have beautiful designs. I tend to Google or go on Pinterest when I’m looking for tutorial advice though, gotta love that! There are so many different ways to do things, I enjoy looking around and deciding which way works best for me. 

Tell us about your favorite blog & why you like it.
I don’t follow blogs religiously, I tend to hop around after I see things on Pinterest. Fresh Lemons and Freshly Pieced are two I gravitate towards. I love their style and use of color.

Do you have a blog or twitter or instagram where we can creep on your shenanigans?  
No blog yet, maybe one day.

Name something on your quilting bucket list!
I’m so new to quilting EVERYTHING is on my bucket list! I recently learned needle-turn applique and really enjoy it. My biggest bucket list item is to design a nautical/beachy modern applique quilt. 

Name one of your secret skills (outside of quilting!) that no one in the guild knows about!
I’m a crazy crocheter. I probably would have started quilting sooner if I hadn’t been so preoccupied with crochet. I find hand work very relaxing and crochet in front of the tv is easy to start and stop as needed.




If you could have anyone give a lecture or teach a workshop for the Austin MQG, who would it be? 
Jaquie Gering, Improv Piecing!

What are you most excited about as you start your term on the Executive Council? 
I’m excited for our retreat in August and all the fun events we’ll be planning. The retreats are such a great way to focus on projects and get stuff done, while getting to know fellow guild members. I also  hope to get the guild sewing together more often outside of retreats. Stay tuned! 

Is there anything else you'd like our members to know about you?
Editor's Note: Corinne didn't include anything for this question, but on Emily's interview, I threw in a pic of her Weekender in this space. So, I'm going to put up this photo and hope that Corinne doesn't get mad at me! If this was *my* photo, I would have it blown up poster sized and hang it above my fireplace!! :-)
Corinne getting Stephen Colbert's autograph


Thank you for sharing with us, Corinne! 

2 comments:

  1. Is that Stephen Colbert signing your boob??!! Wow, so jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your owl quilt!

    ReplyDelete