Charity Quilts

3.05.2014

WIP Wednesday: Meet Cathy!

You may have met Cathy at a meeting or seen her often hilarious posts on the Facebook page.  She's a gem, and she's going to share a bit about herself and her WIPs this week!


Hello, my name is Cathy Ledbetter and I think I may hold the title of the most remote active member of the guild. I live in San Saba County on a historic family ranch with my husband, Macy, my son, Wade, and lots and lots of animals. My daughter, Shelby, lives in Austin and is also a member of AMQG.

I have been making things as far back as I can remember. When I was four or five, my dad brought me a child-sized, chain-stitching sewing machine from Japan. I sewed every bit of fabric I could get my hands on until several months later, when our house burned down with the sewing machine inside. My mom let me sew on her machine starting when I was eight or nine. By thirteen, I was starting to make a lot of clothes and made most of my own clothes through high school and college. I earned a BS in Home Economics Education from the University of Tennessee and an MS in the same field from Texas Tech University, so I sort of made “making” into a profession.

I’ve always loved quilts, but didn’t try to make them because I thought it all had to be done by hand. And I have a perfectionism problem I am trying to overcome. Ten years ago I attended the Houston festival, bought a Roxanne thimble, and started quilting. I didn’t produce many finished quilts until I decided to learn how to free-motion quilt. I am still learning, by the way, practicing a lot and still working on that perfectionism thing.

Lately I have been working on the projects I started at the Portland SewDown, and I have been working on those highly addictive Sew Along bags (pattern by Sew Demented). I have have quite a long list of WIPs on my pledge card, most of which need to be quilted. Emily provided me with some charity quilt projects so that I can be sure to get LOTS of FMQ practice in the coming weeks.

Being around AMQG members is like Red Bull for my creativity--Thanks Y’all!!!

That big blue bag holds all the WIPs on my pledge card. There are more WIP-ish things on the shelf.

But this is what I have been doing instead: Charity quilts, Sew Together bags, the You+Me quilt with it's backing all ready to go, and the Sidekick Sampler star waiting to be quilted into a table topper.



Great stuff Cathy!  Remember everyone, the monthly meeting has been rescheduled to Wednesday, March 26 at Sew Much More.  Now, what have you been busy sewing?  Link up!



4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your Sew Together Bags!! Mary Anne and I have a pact to make one soon...I can hardly contain my excitement!!!! And I think that I might be the second most remote member...country girls unite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Bio. I enjoy seeing what everyone is working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your sewtogether bags too! But I love the red shelf for fabric even more. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've totally been wanting to make one of those bags :-D I probably should have put that on my 2014 WIP list just so I can check it off ;-) I also bought a Roxanne thimble at IQF this year after we got to use one in a two-day Amish quilting class and I fell in love.

    ReplyDelete